Marriage License

GUIDELINES FOR OBTAINING A MARRIAGE LICENSEMarriage license applications are taken from 8:30 AM through 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday, except legal holidays.  An appointment is required to obtain a marriage license.  Parties are required to have their own clergy to perform the ceremony. There isn’t anyone available to marry you at the Courthouse in any capacity.

Both parties must appear together to receive the license.  The marriage application can be completed ahead of time here. Marriage License application must be fill out with name that appears on valid picture ID.

Marriage License fee:  $51.00 CASH or CREDIT/DEBIT CARD

A valid driver's license or other form of photo ID is required.  If your full name -first, middle and last – do not appear on your driver’s license you will be required to bring your birth certificate. If you do not have a middle name you will also need to bring supporting identification. (Birth Certificate or Passport)
You will also be required to provide your social security number. If this is not a first time marriage you will need to provide the month and year your last marriage ended.

The marriage license will be issued immediately upon completion of the application.  Your license is valid for thirty days starting the day it is issued.  After that date the license is no longer valid and may not be used.  (RSMo 451.040)

The person performing the ceremony is required by law to have the marriage license before the ceremony.

The marriage license needs to be signed with black ink only.  No gel pens accepted.

The marriage license must be returned to the Recorder's office from which it was issued within 15 days after the marriage.  Failure to make such return is a misdemeanor.  The license used or not used must be returned to our office.
For questions, please contact the Recorder's Office @ 660-259-6178.

To search for a marriage license within Lafayette County please click on link below. This will show names and date of marriages only. If you need to purchase a certified copy or a regular copy for genealogy purposes you will need to contact our office by phone or email.


SOCIAL SECURITY INFORMATIONThirty days after your marriage license is turned in to the Recorder's Office, you can request a new Social Security card online here:

Office Locations:

3520 S. Noland Rd
Suite C
Independence, MO  64055

3404 W. 10th St.
Sedalia, MO  65301