Bad Checks

BAD CHECKSLafayette County Bad Check Restitution Program
Bad checks result in higher costs to consumers that are passed on by merchants in order to offset losses.  Bad checks can also affect taxes due to the additional expense of law enforcement and prosecution.  As your Prosecutor, I want to help avoid these and other problems caused by bad checks.  The program seeks full restitution for victims without adding to the financial burden of the criminal justice system, when possible.  Bad check offenders will receive a ten-day courtesy letter from our office; if payment is not received, the case will be considered for the filing of a criminal charge.

If you receive a bad check, follow these simple steps:
Step One - Complete a bad check report form.

Click on the link below for the proper form.
Step Two - Attach the check to the forms after making of copy for your records.

Step Three - If you received a notice from the bank that returned the check to you, attach it also.

Step Four - Deliver the original check and forms to our office at:

P.O. Box 70, Lexington, MO 64067 or
by hand-delivery between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. (closed noon - 1:00 p.m.)(Excluding Holidays)
In order for a check to be eligible for the bad check program, it must meet the following requirements:

It was passed in Lafayette County for the purchase of legitimate goods or services, AND
It was presumed by you at the time of acceptance that the check was valid, AND
  • A photo I.D.  (such as a driver's license) was documented at the time the check was passed. This is important for two reasons:  First, it provides information we need to identify and locate the check writer.  Second, it confirms that the check is not forged or stolen.
We cannot accept checks for the bad check program if one of the following is true:
  • The check is stolen or forged.  Instead, report this to law enforcement for a possible felony investigation.
  • The check is post-dated.   It is not recommended that you accept post-dated checks.
  • The check is a two-party check such as a payroll or travelers check.
  • You knew there were insufficient funds at the time you accepted the check.
  • You do not have proof that the check was rejected by a bank.
  • You cannot identify the check writer. 
Please Note:   If the bad check cannot be submitted to our office for one of the above reasons, you may be able to seek recovery in small claims court or with the help of a civil law attorney.