Missouri Municipal Divisions

Know your rights
  • Right to trial
  • Right to know when the court is open
  • Right to attend court
  • Right to release pending hearing
  • Right to access court records
  • Right to an attorney
  • Right to have a judge decide if you can afford a lawyer
  • or afford to pay fines
  • Right to a court-appointed attorney
  • Right to request a different judge
Right to TrialIf you plead not guilty, your case will be scheduled for trial. Because of the number of cases the court hears each month and the need to have the officer and any witnesses present, your case cannot be heard that night. You will be given a future court date for trial. When your case is scheduled for trial, it will be in the same court in which you appear, UNLESS you request a jury trial. A request for a jury trial should be made by written motion 10 days prior to the scheduled trial date. If the motion is timely, your case will be sent to the presiding judge of the circuit court for a new trial date with a jury.
At trial, you have a right to testify or remain silent. If you remain silent, it is not considered an admission of guilt. If you testify, the judge may consider any statement you make in deciding your guilt or innocence.

  1. At trial, you have the right to ask questions of witnesses testifying against you.
  2. You have the right to ask the clerk to issue a subpoena to require witnesses to come to trial and testify.
  3. If you are found not guilty, the case ends.
  4. If you are found guilty, you can accept the decision or appeal to the circuit court. If you appeal your case, you will be granted a new trial before a different judge. The request for appeal must be made in writing within 10 (ten) days of the court's decision and cannot be extended for any reason. You can appeal even if you are not able to pay. You may also ask the clerk for information on the process.
Trial Process
  1. The case is ready to be heard by the judge.
  2. Witnesses are given an oath to testify.
  3. The city's witnesses explain their version of what happened.
  4. You or your attorney can ask questions of the City's witnesses.
  5. You may testify and call witnesses to explain your version of what happened.
  6. The city prosecutor may question you and your witnesses, if you and your witnesses testify.
  7. The judge makes the decision.
Punishments and FinesIf you plead guilty or are found guilty, you may face the following punishments or fines:

  1. Minor traffic violations—up to $225 total fine and costs.
  2. Housing, zoning or building code violations—up to $200 total fine and costs for the first violation in a year, $275 for the second violation in a year, $350 for the third violation in a year, and $450 for the fourth and any subsequent violation in a year.
  3. All other municipal code violations—up to $ fine plus costs.
  4. In addition to these fines and costs, certain violations may result in jail time. Such violations include any violation involving alcohol or drugs, violations endangering the health or welfare of others, or giving false information to a police officer. You may face up to a year in jail.
You may be able to pay your fines by mail, online, or in person instead of appearing in court. Please check with the clerk of the municipality in which your case is located to get information on how you can pay fees and fines in the municipality. You may not be put in jail for failure to pay fines or costs unless the judge finds you have the ability to pay but are unwilling to pay or when alternative sanctions to jail are not sufficient.

If you are a non-U. S. citizenIf you do not have the proper documentation to be in the United States, you should know that a guilty plea or conviction may result in your deportation, denial of admission to the United States, or you may be denied naturalization under United States law. You may wish to speak with an attorney, especially before entering a guilty plea to any charges.

If you need ADA accommodationsYou have rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). For example, if you or a witness are deaf or hearing impaired, you have the right to request assistance, including an interpreter. For help, please contact the court's ADA coordinator. A list of ADA coordinators can be found at http://www.courts.mo.gov/page.jsp?id=180. If you need help with other ADA disabilities, please call (573)751-4377 or send an email to access2justice@courts.mo.gov.

While in the courtroom, please:

Stay seated until your case is ready to be heard by the judge. Do not smoke or consume food or drink. Silence any phones or pagers, and remain quiet.

The Lafayette County Associate Circuit Division hears cases for the following Municipalities:
Court Dates for 2024 are as follows, at 1:00 p.m. in Lafayette Hall Courtroom A:
  • January 11, 2024
  • February 8, 2024
  • March 14, 2024
  • May 9, 2024
  • June 13, 2024
  • July 11, 2024
  • August 8, 2024
  • September 12, 2024
  • October 10, 2024
  • November 14, 2024
  • December 12, 2024
There will not be an April 2024 hearing date