How Do I

Where do I go to register to vote?
The County Clerk’s office, on the main floor of the Courthouse handles all voting registration.
How do I request an absentee ballot?
Contact the County Clerk’s office. The County Clerk can make arrangements to have an absentee ballot mailed to your current address.
I have moved within a city, how do I change my voter information?
By contacting the City Clerk at City Hall. The City Clerk will then forward the address change to the County Clerk.  For a list of city hall contact information visit the City Contact webpage.
Where do I go to pay my court fee?
Court costs and fines may be paid at the Circuit Clerk's Office located on the 2nd floor of Lafayette Hall or paid by phone with a credit card though the Pay By Web option at or calling 660-259-6101.
How do I find out when my court date is?
By calling the Circuit Clerk at 660-259-6101 or reviewing your case at
Where is the courtroom located?
There are four County courtrooms. One is located on the second floor of the Courthouse, and the other three are located in Lafayette Hall and are designated as Courtrooms A, B and C.
Where is Lafayette Hall?
Lafayette Hall is on the corner of 10th Street and Franklin.
I was chosen for jury duty, but I cannot serve, who do I contact?
Please contact the Presiding Judges Secretary at 660-463-5834.  Jury information is also available on the Jury Information link on the Courts tab on the main page of the Lafayette County website.
Where do I go to pay my personal property tax?
The County Collector’s office, just inside the main entrance of the Courthouse.
Where do I obtain a merchants license?
The County Collector’s office, just inside the main entrance of the Courthouse
Where do I get a marriage license?
The Recorder of Deed’s office, on the second floor of the Courthouse.
How do I report a problem on a county road?
By contacting your road district commissioner.
Where do I go if I have recently purchased or sold property?
The Assessor’s office, located on the main floor of the Courthouse.
When is the County Commission in session?
The County Commission is in session on  Wednesday mornings beginning at 8:30 am. They also meet as needed on other days.  Agenda's are posted at the Courthouse 24 hours in advance. The Commission meeting room is on the main floor of the Courthouse.
How do I obtain a building permit?
The Planning and Economic Development department handles all building permits.
How do I deposit money in an inmate's account?
To deposit money in a Lafayette County inmate electronically, use the Sheriff’s webpage at: 
Does Lafayette County have an Emergency Action Plan?
Yes, the plan is located on the Emergency Management page on this website. Questions regarding Emergency Management may be directed to (660)259-6551.